Among clients surveyed at The Forrester Center for Behavioral Health:
- 92% smoked marijuana before age of 21
- 85% drank alcohol before age 21
- 45% use marijuana before trying another drug.
- On average clients are 21-30 years old
According to the Communities That Care Survey given to Spartanburg youth (2014):
- 30.4% said it would be “easy” for them to obtain tobacco.
- 29.6% said it would be “easy” for them to obtain alcohol.
- 30.5% said it would be “easy” for them to obtain marijuana.
- 81.7% have never used smokeless tobacco.
- 68.6% have never smoked tobacco.
- 74.4% do not drink regularly (1-2 times per month).
- 72.3% have never used marijuana.
- 74.3% of the youth surveyed think it is wrong for someone their age to smoke marijuana.
- 73.1% of the youth surveyed think it is wrong for someone their age to use tobacco.
- 61.7% of the youth surveyed think it is wrong for someone their age to drink regularly.
- 75.7% have not drunk alcohol in the past 30 days.
- 14.1% have drunk 5+ drinks in the past 2 weeks.
- 90% have not used a prescription medication without a prescription.
In Spartanburg County, the number of people seeking treatment for marijuana has increased by 30% over the past 10 years. (Source: SC Department of Alcohol and Other Drug Abuse Services)